Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What We Bring

One of the things I loved about Junelle's Art of Wild Abandonment Workshop is I started to see how I could take things and make them my own. I started to sketch my ideas and thoughts and feelings. I started to think in terms of sketches and canvases and feelings I wanted to paint. One of the prompts in Junelle's class was called- what we bring. She sketched a whole bunch of ideas of things you could paint, with you, on your canvas. Things like your dog or cat, suitcases, a pot of flowers, etc. They were things to represent hobbies or something about who you are. 

As I thought about the phrase "what we bring,"I knew I had to do a canvas with me and my three daughters. 

I love being a mom. It is what I have always wanted to be. I am 26 and have three kids. Being a mom is a lot of work. It is a lot of sacrifice, but this is my happily ever after. Having our third daughter really made my life so busy. It was hard to juggle the needs and demands of 3. One example is that I can't go anywhere... anywhere, without literally dragging my 3 children with me. They come with me to the doctor, to the grocery store, shopping, etc. What do I bring with me? three amazing and beautiful girls that I could not image my life with out. They bring me more joy and fulfillment then I could have thought possible. 


This canvas is an 11 x 14 and is my favorite canvas to date. 

Here is my sketch. 



I usually pick my color pallet. For this one I choose my favorite colors, hot pink, teal and grey. 


Getting ready to start. Here you can see the journaling I put underneath. One thing I love about this canvas, is I journaled about the births of my three girls in the background. I covered it with paint and some texture, but I still wanted to see a peak or the writing underneath. 


Usually I have a quote in mind before I start on the canvas. I was thinking I would just put, "what we bring," but after I was finished I had such a different feeling about the whole canvas. I felt so lucky. I love these three so much. This is my dream come true and this was such a personal canvas I wanted to hand write it. 


Two sweet sisters


One darling baby


Here's a close up of the journaling underneath. 


It took me a long time to create this canvas because it meant so much to me. It was so near to my heart and so real. I also was afraid of messing it up. But once I got it down on the canvas it become my favorite canvas I've ever done because it was so meaningful. Meaningful art is beautiful. Do you have something in your heart? Don't be afraid. Make your canvases meaningful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment