Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Sewing Away

My sister Jen wanted me to make a quilt for her new baby, but I couldn't start another sewing project until I finished this John Deere Blanket for my little boy Austin.  So the best part about both of these projects is that they are cheater quilts, they were super easy and fast to make. Read along and you'll see how. 


My husband grew up on a farm and has always loved John Deere. After having three girls we both were so excited to have a boy. Tyler wanted to decorate with tractor and farm everything, but I kept it down to a dull roar.


I found this panel at JoAnnes and it was perfect. I couldn't make a cuter quilt if I tried. So I bought the panel (or section of fabric of this pre-made quilt). Then I got some batting, bias tape and cute minky for the back. 



I choose this cute cow print minty to play up the farm feel. I added some hand-sticthing around the letters, just to give it more of a homemade feel. Then I pinned the layers of this quilt together and machine quilted it myself. My plan was to simply stitch around the squares. It was a little challenging, I prefer straight lines! I made it through and then put on a homemade binding and completely messed it up. I messed up the corners, it didn't catch on the other side. It was such a mess!  Sometimes things don't work out, but you just have to try again! I tried unpicking it and ended up hacking the binding to pieces. I was so discouraged. Making binding is a lot of work. So in an attempt to save my sanity, I just bought some black bias tape and it worked great. It's all about getting it done, right? 



Austin was very excited to see the tractors on it and has loved it ever since. I can't believe he's almost two and just now getting his baby quilt. Oh well, better later then never. 


The next quilt I made is the One Hour Triangle Quilt. This tutorial comes from the amazing See Kate Sew. She has amazing sewing tutorials, a Spoonflower shop, lots of sewing patterns and much more. 

One Hour Triangle "Quilt" Tutorial
 For my quilt, I picked out a fun navy minky for the back and used an amazing gold metallic bias tape. It really makes this quilt pop. I just love it. This quilt was super easy to make and I love spray basting. It was one of the greatest tips in this tutorial. Making quilts just got a whole lot easier!!!!



I quilted it myself and it was really easy. You simply sew straight lines and when you are done you have this beautiful triangle pattern on the back. I love triangles, but sewing a regular triangle quilt is very challenging, this is simple, quick and a perfect pattern for beginners. 



I love these quilts, and it's been great to do some sewing again. I can't wait for my little niece to have her sweet baby blanket! 



No comments:

Post a Comment