Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I love you to the moon and back.


For today I wanted to show you a behind the scenes peek at how I made this sweet canvas for my baby boy. You'll get a look at my creative process. My idea was to have a painted background and a moon that was lots of paper layers. So I started with my paper. I went through my stash and pulled out whatever I had that might work in a boyish color scheme. I had lots of blue, green and brown paper so that was my color scheme. 


My baby boy is picking his favorite papers. He approves! 


Isn't he so handsome? Once I had my color scheme I grabbed my paint and threw a whole bunch of it on my canvas, literally. Then I grabbed a brush and started mixing it all together. I had way too much paint on here, so I put some in my art journal and on another canvas. I'll work on those later. 


I wanted to keep my background simple. I added some blue to the corners, but then got stuck. I didn't want it to be busy because I wanted the focus to be on the moon. So I decided to pick out all the other elements for my canvas and then finish the background at the end. I loved layering the papers for the moon. I needed some more pattern in other places on the canvas so I decided to add some stars


I am really in love with script writing. I've seen it on Etsy, on Studio Calico, and in scrapbook papers.  I was so excited to play with doing my own script for this canvas. I've already practicing my handwriting a lot. My normal handwriting is not very pretty so when I want to do something fancy I  would practice writing it different ways. Now I have my own style that I like and comes naturally. I did each word a few times using a Heidi Swapp color shine mist and a paint brush. Then I picked my favorite one and cut it out. 


it's coming together...


I love the layered papers... 


My messy desk; it's always good and messy when I'm in the zone. 


This was my finished canvas, but it just didn't seem right. I didn't want to do too much with it, so I left it for a couple days. Then when I came back to it I realized I need to add some doodling and black pen to the letters. 







Now it's just right. 


I love you to the moon and back my sweet baby boy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment